Two Deportation Monuments

Once I realized that I would not have much time left to spend in the two monuments in Brandenburg an der Havel (because it's about a 90 minutes' journey to get there), I decided to go there on Saturday, when they open at 10.00 (instead of 13.00)  until 17.00. Instead, I visited two monuments that I had missed earlier.

The Gedenktafel Quitzowstrasse is part of the memorial at the Moab freight train station, where I started my day on Saturday. 




From there, I walked about 1 km to the statue on the Puetlitzbridge, which is connected to the Moabit memorial. The statue was vandalized in the 1990s. When I saw pictures of it before, I thought the statue represents books, but no, as the text (slightly difficult to read, but I was able to enlarge the picture on my cellphone) on the memorial explains: 

"Steps

that are no

                        steps

anymore.

                        A stairs

that is no stairs anymore

taken apart

Symbol of the way

that wasn't a way anymore

for those

who had to go

their last way

on 

freight platforms

rails

steps

and stairs.

From the Puetlitzstrasse Railway Station

in the years 1941-1944

tens of thousands of Jewish fellow citizens of Berlin

were deported to extermination camps

and 

            murdered."







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meeting friends and colleagues

Time to Relax

One project finished - A Practical Guide to Memorials of Persecution and Resistance in and around Berlin